28 July 2014

Scenes from My Summer

It's the end of July and how quickly the time flies! I remember, during the dead of winter, I retreated to a place in my head filled with long summer days and sunshine on my face. And now I'm living it. Summer is here and I'm basking in its glory!

Henry James once said, "Summer afternoon -- summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." 

How could I not agree? So today, let me share what an ideal summer weekend afternoon looks like:

Seeing the ocean, being embraced by salty air, the sound the rolling tide makes, bare feet on the sand, and the faint scent of sunblock.
 
This is a day trip to Rockaway Beach in Queens, New York.

 
It's so close to the JFK Airport that planes getting ready for landing is typical. I wonder if the passengers will see me if I wave at them? 

The board walk is clean and modern.


One of the reasons people are drawn to this beach are the food stalls on the boardwalk. 

Out of curiosity, just like these folks, we tried Rockaway Taco. It's main shack is located just off the boardwalk.

These are the fish tacos (battered tilapia with a tangy slaw topping), chorizo tacos and a side of a pineapple and mint cooler. Mmmmm.

A walk by the beach after lunch was on the agenda.

And maybe finding a souvenir.

I took home this smooth rock...

And added it to my growing collection of "Found Objects". TADA!

I hope all of you are enjoying your summer (or whatever season it is in your part of the world)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very much appreciated!