18 November 2013

Crafting Away the Sadness

Last October 14, I lost someone I loved very dearly.

Auntie Edith was my mother's older sister. I was particularly close to her because she was the "cool aunt" -- very approachable, always there when you needed her. 

When I was a child, she was a fairy godmother who gave me the Barbie Doll for my birthday or a Swatch watch for Christmas. She always had presents for me and my brothers whenever she traveled. She was very thoughtful like that.

As I grew up, she was a big influence in my life. She was an interior designer by profession, always seeking and creating beauty. She was also very crafty -- decorating Christmas trees that would land in pages of magazines, wrapping the prettiest presents, and coming up with beautiful table settings. 

I recall all the beauty she brought to life and it pains me that I will no longer see any more of it. 

Sigh.

To help me through the sadness, I am going to craft.

When my husband and I got married, my Auntie Edith helped us create an "autumn wedding". Here is one of our tablescapes. If you look closer, you might notice the napkin rings? These were lovingly made by Auntie Edith {one for each guest...and we had quite a number of guests!}. They are made of cardboard {collected by my father}, ribbons, leaves and berries. They added a festive touch and our guests got to take them home.

Today, I'll make some of these napkin rings. I think they'll be perfect for the coming holidays. Here is what we'll need: an empty paper towel roll, raffia, dried leaves, a pair of scissors and a glue gun.

Trim the paper towel rolls into smaller rings {about 1 1/2 inches tall}.

Cover each cardboard ring with raffia. You may use twine, yarn or ribbon -- whatever you have on hand. Secure the ends with hot glue.

Here are the rings all wrapped up. Now, it's time to embellish with leaves {just trim the stems and attach with hot glue}:




These would be a nice addition to a Thanksgiving table: 


Blah paper towel rolls are now TADA! napkin rings! A tribute to my Auntie Edith and all the lovely meals we've had together.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always delighted when I see someone leaving this world and still leaving a print that no distance or time can steal.
    When we have - or had - one of those blessed sould in our life we are never alone or without them. And we're honorbound to pass the legacy of love; because that's what those creatives are about: they put love into delightful creations and memories.
    I'm sorry for your loss and may you be an Auntie Edith for many on the next generations.
    Hugging you close,
    Teresa


    P.S. Awesome table setting in your wedding. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tribute, and a nice idea for any autumn table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Teresa for this lovely heartfelt note. It has definitely lifted me up. Hugs in return!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!