01 September 2009

Little Icy Umbrellas

When summertime rolls in, I have this habit of hoarding fruits like berries, peaches and cantaloupes. And why not? They are at their sweetest and they're so cheap! I eat them for breakfast, some I freeze for later use and I also turn them into smoothies (add milk or yogurt to your choice of fruit and whiz in a blender):

Then I figured, what if I freeze this smoothie?

I poured them into tiny tart pans. You can do the same using little paper cups, sauce containers or mini muffin tins, then put them in the freezer.

After about 20 minutes, take the tins out of the freezer and insert some popsicle sticks. The smoothie will be firm enough to hold the sticks in place. Return to the freezer to fully solidify.

To unmold, dip the tin in hot water & apply some force to loosen.

Tada! A healthy snack using the season's best harvest.

I really like how they resemble small umbrellas.

Hope to see you again tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Curious Cat -- you are welcome to take one! Thanks for dropping by =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea--you are so creative. I've seen these little tins at Goodwill but passed them up because I didn't know what I would do with them! Awww maaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lisa! I saw these tins at the clearance rack at Bed, Bath & Beyond -- 99 cents for 4 pieces. How could I resist =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy and cute. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 99 cents!!!!!!!!!! are you for real!!??? what a great buy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nuit! Yes...99 cents! What a steal, right? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look like tiny mushrooms!! oh so very cute!!
    Thanks for a great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Simply Colette & Rane! Thanks for stopping by =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! I love all your frozen treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting Liss! Try this one time...makes you feel like a kid again =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!