19 August 2009

Aguas Frescas


We're adding some boost to everyday drinking water
here at blah to Tada!.


After all, a little variety makes drinking more fun & less of a chore.

Today, we're making Aguas Frescas. The literal translation: "fresh or cool waters". Refreshing they are indeed! I learned about them from this website and first tried them at Mijita Cocina Mexicana at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco. "Wow!" is all I can say and made a mental note to try making these at home.

This drink of Mexican origin makes use of fresh fruits. My pick -- these mighty-cool cantaloupes:

I simply cube up some cantaloupe flesh (about 2 cups) and add them to a blender. I place the scooped-out seeds in a strainer, put this on top of the blender pitcher and with a spoon, "squeeze" out the juice (producing about 1 tablespoon...we don't want to waste anything, right?). I then add 2 cups of water and blend away! You may add some sugar (before blending) if the fruit isn't that sweet.

Tada! My version of aguas frescas (agua de melon).

You may strain the liquid as you pour it into a pitcher or tall glass barrel-shaped punch bowls (as they are traditionally served). That way, the liquid will be lighter and clearer. I happen to like the pulp so I skipped this step.

Get ready to be refreshed on a hot & humid day!

12 comments:

  1. You're right!!!, this is fabulous, here in Mexico we drink this everyday! I also do the same with watermelon, strawberry and mango... I add some ice to the blender if the day is too hot ;) Happy day Claire darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you site! it always fun and interesting to see what you change. Very creative

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nuit! These are really refreshing! Enjoy your day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so yummy:)i have to try it.thanks for stopping on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruxandra! Please try this, it's really refreshing =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I am totally loving your website!!! It's so unique and you're really creative!!! And I had to laugh at the "blah to tada" concept - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Trisha! So glad to see you here...thanks for stopping by =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, do you TAKE those pictures? They are amazeballs!! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin, you make me laugh! Yes, I take my own photos, do my own stunts =) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Aguas Frescas, but I've never attempted to make my own. I'm now convinced I need to try!! These look so yummy; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please try them Courtney! Thanks for saying "hi" today =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!